Friday 17 February 2012

Applique Star Tshirt - Tutorial

Its t-shirt week apparently this week! Another t-shirt tutorial!

Ages and ages ago the Telegraph newspaper was giving away free Cath Kitson booklets full of cute little makes and there was a beautiful one for an applique t-shirt which I wanted to try
 
What you need
Plain t-shirt
Wonderweb sheets or any other iron on adhesive (the kind that’s adhesive on both sides as you want it to stick to your shape and your t-shirt)
Fabric scraps
Applique shape template, I used a star but it can be anything you want.
Thread
Sewing machine
Iron
Scissors

So I bought a plain white t-shirt, (Asda, Tesco and Primark are good places to try for cheap ones) and used some left over fabric scraps.
My favourite shape is a 5 pointed star so I cut one out in card to use as my template.

Iron the fabric scraps onto to the Wonderweb, John Lewis or Hobby craft sell this. Place an old tea towel or something between the iron and the fabric/Wonderweb to avoid getting your iron sticky.
 Cut out your fabric scrap, now with Wonderweb attached
Then, using your shape template, cut out your fabric shape
Now lay out the shapes in the pattern you want on your t-shirt and iron them into place
Then, using your sewing machine on a zigzag stitch, sew around the edges of the fabric shapes. 
Theres a fab tutorial here, although they recommends using the button hole stitch. I don’t think that works very well on stretchy fabric so I use zigzag and just try out the size and length on bit of scrap fabric first. 
You could also hand stitch these on if you don’t have a sewing machine.

I used white thread on my applique as I wanted quite a subtle outline so it isn’t very clear in the photo, sorry, but you can use whatever colour you want on yours.
  
(see the little hedgehog that has appeared on mine, I accidentally snipped my t-shirt so I just patched the hole with him!)

I'm actually wearing my t-shirt today as I blog this!





No comments:

Post a Comment